• Branch Office
Foreign companies engaged in manufacturing and trading activities abroad are allowed to set up Branch Offices in India for the following purposes:
• Export/Import of goods
• Rendering professional or consultancy services
• Carrying out research work, in which the parent company is engaged.
• Promoting technical or financial collaborations between Indian companies and parent or
overseas group company.
• Representing the parent company in India and acting as buying/selling agents in India.
• Rendering services in Information Technology and development of software in India.
• Rendering technical support to the products supplied by the parent/ group companies.
• Foreign airline/shipping company.
A branch office is not allowed to carry out manufacturing activities on its own but is permitted to subcontract these to an Indian manufacturer. Branch Offices established with the approval of RBI, may remit outside India profit of the branch, net of applicable Indian taxes and subject to RBI guidelines Permission for setting up branch offices is granted by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).